Position type: Full Time, 37hrs
Location: Caledonia Works, Kilmarnock
Salary: £60K - £70K
Closing date: 27/11/2020
As one of the leading Train Engineering Businesses in the UK, they are looking to strengthen their Engineering team with an experienced Engineering Manager for their Caledonia Works site.
As a business, they pride themselves on the quality of their work and offer a comprehensive range of refurbishment, maintenance, overhaul and repair services to the UK rail sector that provides services on passenger trains and specialist infrastructure vehicles.
Based in Kilmarnock, they employ over 100 people across two facilities encompassing 8 roads with c. 30 vehicle capacity. The Engineering team undertakes innovative design and development work as well as resolving both simple and complex engineering issues on existing rolling stock. This includes mechanical and electrical engineering design for the development of new equipment and novel repairs, as well as reverse engineering for obsolete parts.
The role will provide a range of engineering solutions from bespoke design, reverse engineering and repairs to all types of rail rolling stock supporting the Engineering & Projects Manager – Bonnyton Works in in the delivery of engineering and project management services to Brodie Engineering and its customers. The main responsibilities of the role include:
- Write technical reports on the subjects including: assessment of damage to vehicles, analysis of engineering solutions, work instructions for production use.
- Lead the engineering team in the development of sound engineering solutions to problems.
- Carry out engineering calculations and analysis as required and write technical justifications for engineering decisions.
- Be capable of identifying appropriate engineering standards to work to and conducting gap analysis to determine any actions that must be taken.
- Ensure that the team follows company processes for production of drawings, documents and BOMs. Provide support in improving these processes.
- Use research, analytical, conceptual and planning skills, mathematical modelling and computer aided design processes to interpret and specify required standards and specifications with colleagues, subcontractors, suppliers and customers.
- Research and analyse customer design proposals, specifications, manuals and other data to evaluate feasibility, cost and maintenance requirements of designs or applications.
- Ensure products / equipment can be manufactured reliably and will perform consistently within specified operating environments.
- Designing and implementing cost effective modifications to improve safety, reliability and productivity.
- Motivate and manage the engineering team, ensuring all engineering capability gaps are identified / addressed and put in developmental proposals to fill any gaps.
- Promote Brodie Engineering’s behavioural expectations by enhancing and supporting working relationships within the business, customers and external agencies.
This is written as the standard for the core purpose, responsibilities and expectations for the role. As Brodie Engineering is a small team there will be times when there will be other duties as required through the business’s peaks and troughs where flexibility will be vital to our success.
You will be an experienced chartered senior engineer with considerable experience gained within the rail industry or other heavy engineering background. Experience of designing welded assemblies would be an advantage.
You should be:
- results driven, motivating manager of an engineering team, with the ability to coach and develop others to find innovative solutions to engineering issues by getting the best from individual team members.
- ability to communicate and influence effectively at all levels to ensure project timescales, customer delivery and engineering updates are clearly understood.
- high level of understanding engineering drawings and writing technical documents / work instructions from them.
- capable of writing engineering reports and doing complex engineering calculations.
- good at problem solving and finding innovative solutions to engineering issues.
- proficient in Microsoft suite, including MS project and power point – a good understanding of CAD packages would be helpful, but not an essential part of the role.
- able to manage conflicting priorities and communicate across teams effectively.
As an SME, every role counts and therefore they are not just looking for someone with the right skills, but someone who is right for the organisation and therefore they are open-minded about the kind of person who this role would suit – if the role appeals to you and like working in a hands on engineering environment then they would like to hear from you.
In the first instance, please send in your CV and a brief summary of what attracts you to this role. If they believe you will match their requirements, they will invite you to meet them and discuss the role in more detail.
Applications will only be accepted from candidates already eligible to work in the UK and no relocation will be available for this role.
Apply for this job using the application form below.